So we went to the Sushi Express in the Sony Center on the Potsdamer Platz - they also have a homepage but it's ugly enough not to link to it. The place is nice, I'm not sure how usual sushi restaurants look like but here there were a few small and high tables and one could also sit at the bar. So we sat there, since we were too many for the small tables, and placed our orders. I ordered sake, because I've never tasted that before (it should be drank while it's warm :) and it tastes like a strange boiled wine), a Japanese beer of the Asahi brand (nothing special), and a Set 4 sushi plate :) I think this is not even listed on the not-linked homepage, as it's a Happy Hour offer. BTW all the opening hours are covered by the Happy Hour thingy. Strange.
So anyhow, I got some ginger (Gari) and wasabi to it, as well as soy sauce. And I had to eat with sticks. First time ever :) It was fun though :) The sushi tasted nice, I liked the rolled little thingies (Makis) a bit better than the big fish-covered thingies (Nigiris). One of them was even called Unagi :) If I didn't know it was raw fish, the taste wouldn't have given it away either - not that I knew how raw fish should taste :)After the dinner, we had a walk in the city, went to the Brandenburg Gate since it has a nice colourful lighting these few weeks (like a lot of other places in Berlin, this is some kind of event), and then took the train back home. Of course first in the wrong direction :) but it was fun nevertheless.
So what I learned yesterday that sushi is a good food and one should not be afraid of eating with sticks :) It was a good lesson, though a bit pricey, sushi is definitely not the cheapest food around. But who cares, it was a nice evening!Tonight we are going to check out some pubs the locals suggested. We'll see how that goes :)
Oh, and I was told today that I'll stay here at least until the end of this year. And I got my name put on my postal box. I'm happy about both :)
Over for now. I try not to eat anything strange until next time!
M.
3 megjegyzés:
YAY! You finally ate sushi! Unagi is one of my favourites. But that sure is a big wad of wasabi on your sushi.
Usually, people mix it in with their soya sauce for dipping. Mmm...my mouth is watering right now!
Well, we were told to put wasabi on top and dip the whole thing in soya sauce - so I did just that. The wasabi was very good, that's why I had a big wad on every piece of sushi :)
I personally like my wasabi in my soy sauce like Rosie. It may not be traditional, but oh it's sooooo gooood. my favorite food kind of good. besides the fact that the taste is great-delicate but complex, it's light but has substance. At the end of sushi I feel as if I have eaten to satisfaction and I feel good, never 'stuffed' or 'full.'
It's my understanding that there are also some types of saki that are drinken cold, but I'm not sure if that type is served in restaurants (it could just be that through random comments I discovered that some people drink the warm kind unwarmed, but I'll find out for you).
so glad you had sushi! it's a food I didn't get to try until just a few years ago, and since then it has been my choice for special occassions. in fact, it was my last meal before I left the US!
Megjegyzés küldése