After getting ready I went to the nearby NahKauf to get some food to cook for dinners this weekend (as I figured I'll be in the city at lunchtime, so I better cook in the evening). This weekend it will only be spaghetti and turkey steak, I'll report later how I managed with them :) Of course I forgot salt the first time I went to the shop, but I rather went to Lidl to get some, I did not want the cashier girl notice my stupidity :) I could not find any “proper” salt though, I bought some coming in a grinder, in bigger crystals...quite strange.
At this point I was ready to go! I chose the S-Bahn (Schnell-Bahn, a train-like transportation method inside the city) to go to the Potsdamer Platz.
I did not really know what to expect, as I forgot what I read about it in my book ( :) ), but it turned out to be the middle of the city with high and shiny office buildings and a lot of tourists – though it's not the Manhattan-style of an inner city, the tallest building had definitely less than 25 stories. I checked out some remnants of the Berlin Wall, and decided to check out even more, so I headed for Checkpoint Charlie. There were tourists all around (I noticed mostly Americans, Spanish, Germans from other cities and some Italians), it was almost only me who was alone. I don't think I'll start a conversation with anyone, but it could be fun if someone else did :P I know, I need to change :D
So on my way I got distracted and entered the Museum of Communication – that was a nice experience. It is really about communication, in all of it's ways, letters, telegraphs, phones, and anything related. There were eve some interactive parts where you could communicate with your partner with Morse-signals using lamps for example – being alone I did not really try these, but the kids seemed to have fun :) There were also a few robots, one was funny, he was chasing a ball rolling on his own little wheels, and making very happy sounds in the meanwhile :)
After I left the museum, came the rainy part of the day – I had to flee in some strange exhibition of miniature buildings in the Bulgarian embassy :) Wasn't really worth the pixels, so no photos from here. Soon I reached the Checkpoint Charlie, where I could read the lengthy story of the wall, make the obligatory photos and get very tired :)
I went to check out the last longer original part of the Wall, read about the Nuremberg trials on an open-air exhibition (man, these Germans really have a bad conscience) and I had to leave prematurely because I really had to sit down. I will go back some other day, there were a lot more things to see there. I walked back to the Potsdamer Platz for a coffee (I asked for “au lait” but got a plain one...bleh) and a tasty Italian sandwich. The girl behind the counter said the price really slooooowly so I can understand it, probably there was something wrong with my German again.Anyhow, after chilling out a bit, I went for the EuropaCenter to look at some funny and strange clocks! One uses some fluorescent fluid to show the time, the other just uses lights – I made a photo of the instructions on how to read it, too :)
And when I left, I was offered some weed on the square...At least I know now what to answer if someone asks where he can get some :PI took a different route to get home, and I bough a few kinds of beer to taste. Shops aren't open on Sundays, so I hope I have everything I need for a day. And now I'm here, typing my extremely long blog entries, and trying to decide if I'm hungry enough for dinner :) I don't think anything interesting will happen in the rest of today :D
Quote of the day:
“A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but respects the value of nobody”
Bye for today!
M.
Nincsenek megjegyzések:
Megjegyzés küldése