hétfő, november 19, 2007

Rain

Sunday started as slow as possible - Saturday's party was not without aftereffects :) I was just sleeping till noon, mind you, no other problems for me this time :) It took a while to decide what I would do in the afternoon, but eventually I settled for Greenwich - it's quite close, and I was looking forward to see the view of Canary Wharf from there. I took the replacement bus for the DLR (Docklands Light Railways, driverless trains which were undergoing weekend maintenance) to get to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. British people seem to have a lot of stuff dedicated for travelling by foot :) So anyhow, the tunnel runs under the Thames, and it's over 100 years old... It has pretty entry buildings on both sides, and a few years ago they installed elevators for the disabled, elderly and lazy visitors. Even on my side of the Thames the weather started to get exciting, wind was blowing like the world was going down, I guess this is where my photos started to get blurry as I could not stand still :) Also, my pics went even blurrier when the rain started falling and a few drops managed to get on the lens :|
Back to the tunnel for now, though... It was scary :) Not in the "Oh my God the homeless people will eat me" way of scariness, as usual for foot tunnels and subways, because this tunnel was fully lit and more or less clean, but scary because of being narrow and rusty and generally strange :) And it's quite long, too, I'd guess about a kilometre. On the Greenwich side I started exploring as the rain started pouring, pretty soon it was umbrella-time... This part of London is quite amazing, I wandered off the usual tourist path to see a few sidestreets, which was quite fun. I also took some pictures of the view - it's truly spectacular, but I'd need better equipment and weather to show it off properly :) Accidentally I bumped into the Greenwich Market, which was a nice little place - not too big, not too small, and you can buy anything from belts to massage to sushi. It was also a lot less stressy than the Christmas markets and such that I'm more used to. I bought quite a few things (on my scale, a lot!), some smokey Earl Grey tea, a wonderful new wallet, a selection of Italian pastry for half price, some raspberry fudge and a mulled berry drink to get warmed up a bit. It was a nice little trip, but as I was quite tired so I went home. Luckily the replacement buses were not really properly configured for my Oyster card, so I travelled for free :) I guess everyone else did, though. At home, it was sleepy time very soon.
Monday was just another day :) I was at work, solved another important problem, took part in a funny meeting with Budapest (we were drawing on a digital whiteboard to share our diagrams) and a nice sweet chili beef hot wrap lunch. After work, I checked out a bookstore just for the hang of it - it feels good to have that many English books around :) Then, I headed home to taste a very nice dinner based on the Italian bread I bought yesterday. I was told that just by reading me one would think I'm a fat guy... well I might be skinny on the outside, but on the inside, I'm a fat guy who's always hungry :)

The rest of the evening was just peace and quiet, with a small candle burning in remembrance.
Good night, and take care!
M.

Nincsenek megjegyzések: