I made a couple of bad choices already on this trip, one of them was mostly blogging about stuff in Hungarian, making it a bit impractical to just link to those posts from here :)
But yeah, long story short, I'll spend the next 6 months in Shanghai mostly working and hopefully having loads of fun in the process. When planning the trip here I made the slightly silly choice of flying out on a Sunday morning and arriving after 18 hours of travel at 8AM on Monday with very little sleep behind me and an intention to go to work on the same day. And so I did, after taking a 60 minute long introductory taxi ride to the city to take my apartment on the 37th floor in the buzzing heart of Pudong. It was noon by the time I got to the office, meeting a lot of the guys for the first time in person but also bumping into familiar faces here and there, everyone very friendly and welcoming. I got a nice desk as well, with a perfect view on the city:
I didn't enjoy this so much on the first day while almost falling asleep on my meetings :) Also the next day started without much fun, having to go for a blood test to apply for the residence permit. Someone came for me in the morning to go to the dedicated clinic, on the other side of town (another hour in the taxi), and this friendly guide gave a new intro on Chinese habits. She arrived 10 minutes late, which apparently wasn't worth an "Oops", and promptly fell asleep in the cab :) It's not like I enjoy small talk that much in general, but I was a bit surprised :) The clinic itself was surprisingly efficient handling everything in 15 minutes, blood test and X-ray included, so that was relatively painless. Of course I had to have another hour's drive back to the office after, but every since I'm taking the metro whenever I can. It's not as bad as you could imagine, actually I'm taking it the "right way" as the office is a bit towards the outside of town - most commuters go the other way. There's a bit of a crowd of course but it's not much worse than rush hour in Budapest would be :)
(I kinda know I would never finish this one if I wanted to sum up the whole week - so I'll just publish and try to catch up soon!)
But yeah, long story short, I'll spend the next 6 months in Shanghai mostly working and hopefully having loads of fun in the process. When planning the trip here I made the slightly silly choice of flying out on a Sunday morning and arriving after 18 hours of travel at 8AM on Monday with very little sleep behind me and an intention to go to work on the same day. And so I did, after taking a 60 minute long introductory taxi ride to the city to take my apartment on the 37th floor in the buzzing heart of Pudong. It was noon by the time I got to the office, meeting a lot of the guys for the first time in person but also bumping into familiar faces here and there, everyone very friendly and welcoming. I got a nice desk as well, with a perfect view on the city:
I didn't enjoy this so much on the first day while almost falling asleep on my meetings :) Also the next day started without much fun, having to go for a blood test to apply for the residence permit. Someone came for me in the morning to go to the dedicated clinic, on the other side of town (another hour in the taxi), and this friendly guide gave a new intro on Chinese habits. She arrived 10 minutes late, which apparently wasn't worth an "Oops", and promptly fell asleep in the cab :) It's not like I enjoy small talk that much in general, but I was a bit surprised :) The clinic itself was surprisingly efficient handling everything in 15 minutes, blood test and X-ray included, so that was relatively painless. Of course I had to have another hour's drive back to the office after, but every since I'm taking the metro whenever I can. It's not as bad as you could imagine, actually I'm taking it the "right way" as the office is a bit towards the outside of town - most commuters go the other way. There's a bit of a crowd of course but it's not much worse than rush hour in Budapest would be :)
(I kinda know I would never finish this one if I wanted to sum up the whole week - so I'll just publish and try to catch up soon!)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:
Megjegyzés küldése